Sunday, February 8, 2009

blog 3: West Africa

For this night’s blog I decided to use Mrs. Jarrett’s article again. This article was about the rice production in West Africa. It had many people worried that there was so much production of rice and that the prices are getting higher. I thought that they would be happy that they were having a good harvest, but I guess it has the opposite effect. “I am worried,” said Mrs. Diop, a 57-year-old trader and farmer. “I can double my money. Or I can lose everything.” Mrs. Diop has a good point. If everyone has a good harvest of rice or whatever they are growing then who will be there to buy it. In the article it says that Asia was having a cheaper price of rice and wheat so West Africa was having a harder time selling. It is interesting how a product for farmers such as rice can either be a blessing or can ruin you. In our culture many adults just have jobs, at least in the cities, So they don’t need to worry about their product depending on their life.

Polgreen, Lydia. "West African Villagers Stake Their Fortunes on the Future Price of Rice." New York Times. 25 January 2009. 8 February 2009. <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/us/06land.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1>

No comments: