Tuesday, March 10, 2009

blog 12: colonization

For this week’s blog I found an article that was very interesting to me and very informational. A little bit ago our school had an informational talk about genocide in Darfur. From this assembly it really enlightened me about what is really going on in our world today and that everything isn’t always sugar coated. This article talks about the Hamidiya camp in Sudan and talked to many of the boys/young men there in the camp. They said that they came there when they were teenagers and have grown up in this camp because of colonization. I feel like this is completely wrong and I wish there was something more that we, as a nation, could do! It also says in the article that these people are really worried about their education. For me I go to school everyday whining and wishing I could be in bed, when these people want an education so badly and would do anything to be in my position. It honestly makes me feel like I don’t appreciate anything that I have.

MacFarquhar, Neil. “Angry Youths Become a Force in Darfur.” New York Times. 20 December 2008. 11 March 2009. <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/world/africa/21darfur.html?scp=2&sq=colonization&st=nyt.>.


No comments: