Tuesday, April 21, 2009

blog 1 -prep

Before I start analyzing my new book Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld I just wanted to give a quick summary of my book. The book is about this girl named Lee Fiora who is from a smaller town, South-Bend, Indiana. She ends up going to this preppy boarding school called Ault on a scholarship. It is interesting because a lot of the book is told as a flashback. I decided to pick a quote from the text and compare it to my life. A lot of the book is about the things that go during high school so it is pretty easy to relate to. “Gates and Henry pulled apart and turned so they were facing opposite directions, Gates swiveling her hips and snapping her fingers. Her unself-consciousness astonished me. Here she was before a room of more than three hundred people, it was in the bright light of day, it was morning, and she was dancing” (18). This quote is talking about two of the class prefects (class presidents) having their morning meeting. You can tell from this quote that Lee is not a very obnoxious girl. She is not the kind to go and dance in front of her classmates. On the other hand, Gates (the first girl prefect at Ault) didn’t care what people thought and loved the attention. I feel as if Lee is somewhat jealous of Gates. She wishes she could be more like the most popular girl in school with out trying. I think many people know how this feels to be the one that wishes they were in someone else’s shoes. 

No comments: