Tuesday, May 26, 2009

blog 6-prep

For this week’s blog I decided that I would address some of the minor characters importance and significance to the novel. First I would like to start off with Dede. She was the first person that Lee met at the Ault School back when she was a freshman. The two girls had roomed together for freshman year. I think that Dede was important because she was the person that basically filled Lee in about what this school was about. She informed Lee how the school ran and described what events were to Lee. I think Dede symbolizes all the bad things out of Ault. She was a snobby wannabe who thought she was so superior to Lee and was the one who gave the truth to Lee even if she didn’t want to hear it. Another minor character that is important is Sin-Jun. She was a foreign exchange student all the way from Japan. She usually kept to herself and was obviously very smart. I believe that Sin-Jun represents the confusion that Lee feels for most of the book. Because Sin-Jun herself is confusing I think it brings out the uncertainty of Lee. Half-way through the book we find out that Sin-Jun is Lesbian. This is very surprising to Lee because she would have never thought of a thing. I think this symbolizes that surprising things and events do occur throughout Lee’s years at Ault. Without these important characters in the book I think figuring out Lee’s thoughts would have been more difficult.

1 comment:

Teacher: Mrs. Jarrett said...

Claire-your posts are thorough and thoughtful. I love the trailer link and Mean Girls comparison! 50/50.